So, I am super excited about this. I realize I should have done this post in the second week of January. It’s amazing how fast time wheezes by. I was still recovering from December blues and honestly, I hadn’t been fully committed to this blog.
Basically, Goodreads has these annual Reading challenges where you commit to reading a given number of books within the year. You can do as low as one book or as high as one hundred books. Dealer’s choice. I committed to reading 60 books this year, at least one book per week and I am currently about 9 books behind. I have been making adjustments to my daily routine to accommodate recent work, study and hobbies adjustments. These seem to be working just fine now. I should be able to get back on track by the end of the month. Whooop!
The goal is to ensure you get to the end of the challenge or just complete it. Be reasonable in setting the number of books so you do not feel like you are under pressure but instead feel good about your achievement. Last year I committed to 48 books but only made it to 32 books which were pretty impressive for me. Now I am back with a bang!
This is my reading list for 2018. I like to read across at least 4 genres in a month. That way I get a wider scope of things and life in general. Here’s the list so far. I’ll keep updating it until we get to 60 books. Please feel free to recommend any Sci-fi and books by African Authors.
- The Book of Memory by Petinah Gappah
- Stay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck by Mark Manson
- We’re Going to Need More Wine by Gabrielle Union
- What To Do When It’s Your Turn by Seth Godin
- As a Man Thinketh by James Allen
- The Secret Lives Of Baba Segi’s Wives by Lola Shoneyin
- Nikola Tesla: Imagination and the man that invested the 20th Century by Sean Patrick
- The Blind Side of The Heart by Julia Franck
- The Clique (The Clique *1) by Lisi Harrison
- The Hairdresser of Harare by Tendai Huchu
- The Elements of Style by Jr., William Strunk
- Spartan Planet by A. Bertram Chandler
- The Wit and Wisdom of Ted Kennedy by Adler, Bill & Jr., Bill Adler
- The Price of Civilisation: Reawakening American Virtue and Prosperity by Jeffery D. Sachs
- The Smart Money Woman by Arese Ugwu
- Angela Merkel: The Authorised Biography by Stefan Kornelius
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Long Walk To Freedom by Nelson Mandela
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- Digital Kenya: An Entrepreneurial Revolution in The Making (Palgrave Studies of Entrepreneurship in Africa) by Bitange Ndemo